ANAHEIM, Calif. — The children and buyers have spoken through their votes at the Produce Marketing Association’s Sensory Experience Contest.
This was the fourth year for the competition, featuring fresh fruits and vegetables in “innovative, kid-friendly and delicious ways,” said judge and master of ceremonies Jill Overdorff, director of business and culinary development and corporate chef for Coosemans L.A. Shipping, Los Angeles.
Winning recipes were selected by 12 Southern California schoolchildren and 12 produce buyers, who were on hand for a media event Oct. 17 where the winners were announced.
The students chose Wish Farms as the winner for a strawberry blueberry hazelnut chocolate flatbread, and buyers selected Wholesum Family Farms’ Wholesum Harvest eggplant vegetable balls with roma tomato sauce.
In all, companies submitted 55 recipes, and that number was narrowed down to 10 finalists for the expo floor contest.
Wm. Bolthouse Farms Inc., Bakersfield, and Disney Consumer Products, Glendale, sponsored the competition.
“Bolthouse Farms is all about inspiring the fresh revolution, and that’s all about starting with kids and helping them think about fruits and vegetables in a whole new way,” said Todd Putman, chief commercial officer for Bolthouse Farms.
John King, vice president of licensing, consumables for Disney Consumer Products, said more than 4.1 billion servings of Disney-branded fruits and vegetables have been served in North America since 2006.
Overdorff said the Produce Marketing Association Sesame Street Eat Brighter! movement and Disney’s Magic of Healthy Living initiative encourage healthful eating for kids and are “important to not just the industry, but to the students here in this room and the ones across the globe.”
Other finalists and their recipes were:
- Alsum Farms & Produce Inc., rainbow potato pancakes;
- Ball Design, fresh fruit nachos with honey yogurt drizzle;
- Church Brothers LLC; rainbow kale tostada;
- Giorgio Fresh Co., mushroom sauce pizza with mozzarella and cheddar cheese;
- Green Giant Fresh, cauliflower and avocado croquettes with honey Dijon and avocado aioli;
- Mucci Farms, cool summer treats made with Cutecumbers;
- Sage Fruit Co., skinny breakfast apple turnovers; and
- Sunkist Growers Inc., Sunkist orange Asian chicken Asian wraps.