Courtesy Agricultural Research ServiceThe fungal disease, late blight, is responsible for the Irish potato famine.Syngenta Crop Protection, Greensboro, N.C., will once again this year sponsor the potato late blight hotline in five different production areas.
Users access the hotline by dialing into the appropriate number, according to a news release.
University experts will provide weekly late blight alerts, based on the presence of the pathogen and conducive weather conditions, among other factors.
Some universities also offer weekly email alerts.
• University of Idaho: 1-800-791-7195
• Michigan State University: 1-888-379-9012
• North Dakota State University: 1-888-482-7286
• Oregon State University: 1-800-705-3377
• Washington State University: 1-800-984-7400