“Ultimately this program benefits kids and it has got to about the kids,” he said. “It can’t be about industry, it is there to benefit the kids.”
According to United Fresh, programs funded include:
- Market Access Program — reauthorizes at $200 million per year;
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program – maintains program authorization and baseline funding at $150 million per year;
- Healthy Incentives Program — provides $100 million to establish “incentives grants” for more SNAP participants to buy fruits and vegetables;
- Specialty Crop Research Initiative — sets mandatory funding at $80 million per year. From 2014 to 2018, $25 million per year will be used to address the emergency citrus greening mitigation;
- Specialty Crop Block Grants — funding includes $72.5 million in 2014-2017 and $85 million in 2018; and
- Farmers Market Promotion Program — includes $30 million per year.