Vicky BoydSome of the funding Florida received through the federal farm bill will go toward protecting the state's avocado industry from pests.Florida will receive about $6 million in federal funding through the Farm Bill to help fight agricultural pests and diseases.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will receive $5.4 million, with the rest going into research, according to a news release.
Among the state programs that will receive funds are the
• Giant African land snail mitigation,
• Florida detector dog teams,
• Research and development for citrus health,
• Traveler's Don't Pack a Pest outreach program,
• Protection of avocado production and
• Honey bee national survey.