Welcome to This Month in The Grower
On this page you can access all of the columns and feature articles in this months issue of The Grower magazine.
Will orange production go the way of Cypress Gardens?
When I moved to Winter Haven, Fla., in the late 1980s, there was a move afoot by city commissioners to change the city logo that featured a woman, wearing a vintage 1950’s swimsuit, water skiing with a glass of orange juice in her hand.
Environmentally friendly no-till maintains tomato yields, profits
Growers and researchers have shown that reduced-tillage production systems are effective in maintaining yields and profitability while promoting sustainability.
Product cuts nitrogen volatilization, enhancing fertility regimes
When crop yield and environmental benefits are enhanced by the same product, it makes for the proverbial win-win situation. That accounts for some of the marketing success of the nitrogen stabilization product Agrotain.
Pooling product can enhance marketing, but start slowly
Growers can find strength—and profit—in numbers, banding together for marketing, distribution and other efforts.
Gray mold fungicide resistance grows in Southeastern strawberries
The fungal organism that causes gray mold in strawberries has become completely resistant to some fungicides that Southeastern growers have been relying upon for years.
Texas officials hope they’ve caught citrus greening early
With the recent find of citrus greening in the Texas Rio Grande Valley, state citrus industry officials say they hope their years of planning have helped limit the disease spread from an area near McAllen.
- UPDATED: Wawona stone fruit recall spurred by Australian tests
- Fungicide-resistant late blight found in Wisconsin spud field
- Food bloggers tour California strawberries
- Empire State revitalizing Pride of New York program
- Vidalia onion growers say new disease hasn’t hurt crop
- New spud variety suited to Florida, fries up less oily
- Study suggests organic foods nutritionally superior
- Washington's 23 commissions promote apples to turf grass seed
- Texas A&M publishes strawberry production guide
- End nears for potato man Chris Voigt's all-spud diet
- Washington potato director denies wrongdoing in political race
- UC study pegs California ag drought costs at $2.2 billion